Thursday, September 18, 2008

A sinking feeling about University Town Centre

This is a few days old, but I just realized I had left the tab open in FF with this story because I wanted to post about it.  The State Journal resported last week that Target is suing the developers of University Town Centre because the store has sunk FIVE inches in the last three years. 
Target Sues UTC Developers
The store says its Granville location has sunk five inches.
MORGANTOWN -- Target Corporation is suing the developers of the University Town Centre in Granville.
Read the rest of the story in The State Journal
What I've been wondering is - what will happen next?  A lawsuit ain't gonna fix the fact that that hillside is totally screwed.  We were up there on the 4th of July to watch fireworks and Steve talked to a guy who was there as security to keep people out of the field next to Hollywood Cinemas because of sinkholes.  I'm not kidding.  The guy said that there was a man who had driven behind the theater one afternoon (to apparently smoke a doobie before a movie). They had to come a rescue him because the his truck sunk up to the windows and he couldn't get out.  The guy said the field is full of sinkholes.  They've apparently brought in "experts" to try to find a way to fix the problems, but there don't seem to be any. 

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the stores they have brought to town.  I am a huge Target fan and buying clothes for Kira and Piper at Old Navy is great.  I just don't understand why they can build there in the first place if there are freaking sinkholes up there.  What gives??? 

I suppose it's no skin off my nose, so why should I care?  I will care if in a few years that entire develpoment is a ghost town of waste and all the awesome shopping opportunities have left Morgantown because corporate thinks it is too close to Washington/Pittsburgh and Fairmont to locate there.  [I'm totally guessing here, I don't understand why it is so hard for Morgantown to get a greater variety of stores for a city of its size and importance to the surrounding areas.]

I also care that Mon County has no zoning.  It is ridiculous.  In this day and age for a place growing as fast as Morgantown to not have zoning is incredibly short-sighted. 

I live in Preston County, but I work in Mon County.  I am not even sure if Preston has any kind of planning going on - so don't get me started on how far in the past this county is. I complain about it, but I love living here.  I just know it can be better and it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment